The Department of Mass Communication started in January, 2003.Â The Department has staff strength of four academic staff as at take off.Â Presently, the department staff strength is twenty-five (25) Academic and Non-Academics.
In 2008, the Department satisfied the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) requirements to run the National Diploma and Higher National Diploma in Mass Communication.
The department runs the following programmes:-
- Higher National Diploma Mass Communication
- National Diploma Mass Communication
- Diploma in Journalism
- Diploma in Public Relations.
The Department has been headed by the following
- Mrs. Joy Ale 2003 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
- Malam Auwal Bala Aminu 2003 â€“ 2006
- Mal. Abubakar S.S. Al-Sadiq (Ag.) 2006 â€“ 2007Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
- Alh. Adamu Mohâ€™d Hamid (Ag.) 2007 – 2007
- Mal. Hassan Alh. Hassan 2007 â€“ 2018
- Mal. Bello Madaki Beli 2018 – Date
- In 2007, the Department reached out to Bauchi State First Lady Hajiya Aisha Isa Yuguda and generated =N=7.4M and built the Newsrooms/Editing Suite and the HODâ€™s Office.
- The Department produced studentsâ€™ practical newspaper â€œAKUâ€ to serve the Polytechnic Community and Gwallameji village.
- The Department received commendation letters from the Media Industry and the Polytechnic Management for it outstanding professional performance.
- The Department organized lectures and featured Prof. Umaru A. Pate and the Chairman Nigeria Union of Journalist Bauchi State Chapter Alh. Dahiru Garba.
Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â The growth of the department has been rapid in term of studentsâ€™ enrolment. Since the attainment of accreditation in 2008, the Department yearly receive not less than two thousand (2,000) applications. The recent number stood at 1,800 and about 600 studentsâ€™ were admitted this year 2010/2011 session.
The Department has five fully equipped studios and Laboratory viz: Radio Studio, TV Studio, Advertising and Public Relations Resource Centre, Newsroom/Editing Suite and Photography Laboratory.Â All are according to the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE) requirements.